Thursday, May 31, 2012

DxO Mark Lays The Smack Down On The 5D Mark III

Blah
DxO Mark has published an extensive work-up of the Canon EOS 5D Mark III and the Nikon D800. Essentially, they say the the 5D Mark III is more expensive than both the Mark II and the D800, and that it offers little to no benefit over either.

I'm glad to see such a dry, well-known website lay some smack down on what was a stunning show of corporate arrogance. Three years after the 5D Mark II inadvertently revolutionized filmmaking, Canon delivers a warmed-over "upgrade" or $1,000 more.

The points addressed in the review are as we have seen discussed in the dozens of reviews that have trickled out: too expensive, no real upgrade over the Mark II, is completely beaten by the sensor in not just the D800, but also the D3s, D3x, D4, Pentax K5, and matched by the Sony NEX 7 (those last two are APS-C and obviously are inferior as regards ISO).

I'm ranting about this because I hate seeing corporate arrogance prevent development and progress. I hate it when a company so visibly rests on its laurels and, in the case of Canon, tries to milk more money from its market through product trickery.

Now Canon is screwed. The Blackmagic Cinema camera blows Canon's new C-Series (I consider the C to stand for "crap") out of the water and Nikon's still cameras are now significantly superior. If I didn't already own so much Canon crap, I wouldn't care about this. But as it stands, I've got a few grand invested in the system of a company that is arrogant and intransigent. I'm glad that Nikon and Sony are interested in trying new things, and Fuji has truly captured my attention.

Sorry Canon, the market is moving on without you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All posts are moderated, so it may take a day for your comment to appear.