Monday, March 12, 2012

ePhotozine Posts Fuji X-Pro 1 Review

ePhotozine has posted a review of the new X Pro 1. None of their reviews are terribly comprehensive, and their image tests are minimal, but a review is a review.

One interesting thing is the new list of shots that I've uploaded. My initially positive impressions of the 18mm lens are somewhat lessened. In fact, judging from the shots that they have uploaded, I would call the 18mm downright disappointing, with significant softness at the edges and corners. The 60mm is sharp, as is the 35mm, but that 18mm is a big let-down after earlier shots seemed to make it impressive.

As for price, I still think that the entire package is a bit too high. The 60mm macro is over $200 more expensive than Canon's APS-C 60mm macro, and the performance is comparable. I'd say that the 35mm is fairly priced, but it is a difficult call. Canon again makes the 50mm f/1.4 for over $200 less, and the performance again seems very similar, although the edge does appear to go to the Fuji.

Aside from the 18mm, I remain excited. Prices are a bit high, but build-quality is definitely a cut above. I wouldn't buy into a system this early in its life, but I have to admit, I'm tempted. And that's saying something.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All posts are moderated, so it may take a day for your comment to appear.